There has been a lot of discussion lately around making your website mobile friendly. There are multiple ways to make a website mobile friendly. But the most popular way is to make it either responsive or to create a mobile website. So which one should your church have?
Before I answer the question I want to explain what each is along with the pros and cons.
A responsive website has the ability to adapt automatically to whatever device a site is being viewed on. All devices are sent the same code but the web pages are reformatted using code in the
users web browser.
Pros of a responsive website:
- One website to manage
- Improved user experience
- It is recommended by Google
Cons of a responsive website:
- Not a quick fix
- Requires a larger upfront budget
- Challenging to achieve perfect results on all platforms
A mobile website is a second website that is designed specifically for viewing on a mobile device. The user is sent the correct version of the site depending on the type of device they are on.
Pros of a mobile website:
- It is a quick fix
- Smaller file size for faster viewing
- Craft specifically to match mobile needs
Cons of a mobile website:
- Updating content in 2 places
- Extra monthly costs of two websites
- Simplified version may not satisfy user needs
I highly recommend you go responsive if you are starting a new website or looking for a website redesign. A responsive website will work with current browsers and adapt to ever changing mobile devices.