Content is a website essential. It gives people a reason to visit your site. In fact, it helps them find your website. And once they’ve found you, it provides a reason to return. Content also helps you sell your products or services. Because content is so important to your online success it’s important to create a content plan. It’s also important to keep your content organized so you can make sure you’re accomplishing your goals. Here are a few tried and true tips to help you organize content for a new website.
Keywords, Categories, And Navigational Structure
Consider sitting down and using note cards or a visual sitemap using the flowchart feature on your word processing software. The goal here is to plan your content by category and keywords and to help you create an internal linking structure. Keyword research, target audience research and a content strategy will all help you create a solid plan for your website content.
Plan Your Content
A content plan will help you be organized from the very beginning. A content plan outlines:
- How much content you’re going to publish. For example, maybe you’ll decide to publish five articles a week and three blog posts.
- When you’re going to publish your content. This may include not only the day of the week or month but also the time of day.
- Where you’re going to publish the content. This may include your website, blog, article marketing sites, and even email marketing.
- What the content is about, specifically. What topic will you address in each piece of content?
- The goal for your content. What do you want the content to accomplish?
- How you might re-use and/or re-purpose the content. For example, you might convert an article to a video, turn a blog post into a mp3, or take a snippet from a blog post and publish it on your social networking page.
- How you’re going to create the content. Are you writing it yourself, using PLR, or hiring a ghostwriter?
Create Your Document Organization System
Everyone has their own system for organizing documents and materials. The key is to keep your system simple. You might create a tiered folder system on your computer desktop. The main folder may be labeled “Content.” Inside you could organize your content by month, topic and keyword, or goal.
Keywords are the words that prospects will likely use to find your website. It’s important to make sure that you’re focusing on a few keywords to help them find you. Consider sitting down on a monthly or quarterly basis and spending some time on keyword research. Stay on top of the keywords that affect your business niche. Also create an organization system that reflects your target keywords. For example, you might keep a three ring binder on your desk with tabs for each month’s research and subsequent content plan.
Test, Track, and Improve
Testing and tracking is essential. Install analytics on your website so you can track which type of content generates the most traffic. Using your content plan, which includes your keywords and your content goals, spend time on a monthly basis reviewing your content. Are you achieving your goals?
A few solid strategies and systems will help you build your new website’s content successfully. Plan a website out on paper first. Create a content plan so you’re able to stay organized. Create systems to store and track your content as well. When you implement these tactics from the very beginning, you’ll be able to make quick improvements and achieve online success more quickly.
11 Productivity Shortcuts
Want a quick and easy way to increase your income and extract more money from your business…
Of course you do, what business owner doesn’t right?
Then you should download this “Digital Productivity Playbook” (It’s totally FREE)